Friday, December 1, 2017

Michael Shewmaker

Michael Shewmaker is the recent winner of the Hollis Summers Poetry Prize and author of Penumbra (Ohio UP, 2017). His poems recently appear in Yale Review, Virginia Quarterly Review, Poetry Daily, Parnassus, Oxford American, Narrative, and elsewhere. A former Wallace Stegner Fellow, he is a Jones Lecturer in poetry at Stanford University.




THE ILLUSIONIST

Without the usual work of wands,
she dazzles solely with her hands.

The coin behind your ear is gone.
Her turtledoves have turned to stone.

She plucks the rose from her corsage,
your ring tucked in its petaled cage.

She knows your card. She levitates.
The coin appears in duplicates.

And though she makes a show of it—
the scripted struggle, the long wait—

no locks or chains are sound enough
to bind her to this stage. And though

you know the limits of the eye,
her sleight of hand, the hidden lie,

you choose to see as through a sieve.
You still applaud. You still believe.


When was this poem composed? How did it start?

It was mostly written in 2011, while I was living in Lubbock, Texas. It started with me watching a late-night documentary on sleight of hand magic.

How many revisions did this poem undergo? How much time elapsed between the first and final drafts?

I don’t keep a system that numbers drafts, but I feel pretty confident that it went through at least fifty or so. I spent roughly a year-and-a-half with it before sending it to editors.

Do you believe in inspiration? How much of this poem was “received” and how much was the result of sweat and tears?

Yes. I definitely believe in inspiration. I’m certain the poem wouldn’t exist if I didn’t watch that documentary. The sweat and tears came after, when trying to realize the poem’s shape. For me, that’s almost always the bulk of the work—making the form and content inseparable, making the form the content and vice versa.

How did this poem arrive at its final form? Did you consciously employ any principles of technique?

The eye rhymes are what finally allowed the poem to take its shape. I wanted the couplets to feel like little tricks, leading up to a finale. So, I hope, when the reader encounters the only full rhyme in the poem (eye and lie) it startles them, especially since it doesn’t look like it rhymes at all. I hope the poem itself, through its form and content, pulls off its own sort of sleight of hand.

Was there anything unusual about the way in which you wrote this poem?

Not much, beyond what I just mentioned above. Just a lot of time at the desk, which isn’t unusual at all.

How long after you finished this poem did it first appear in print?


It first appeared in print in September 2013. So, what, a little over a year or so? Even after that, though, the version above, which was recently published in my book, Penumbra, is still slightly different.

How long do you let a poem “sit” before you send it off into the world? Do you have any rules about this or does your practice vary with every poem?

I have some hard and fast rules about this that are probably silly, but they help me to sleep at night. I don’t send anything out until I’ve spent at least six months with it.

Could you talk about fact and fiction and how this poem negotiates the two?


Well, I hope it’s a fiction that’s a fact. I’ve been to plenty of magic shows, but the poem isn’t reportage. It’s an imagined experience that confronts our human need to believe in something.

Is this a narrative poem?

That depends on how you define narrative. I find that we often talk about poems as if they’re some sort of binary system: lyric or narrative—as if they’re one or the other. It’s been my experience that they usually exist on a scale, or a gradient. Compared to my other work, though, “The Illusionist” seems to me tipped more toward lyric than narrative.

Do you remember who you were reading when you wrote this poem? Any influences you’d care to disclose?

I do. Among other things, I was reading Derek Mahon and thinking about his rhymes.

Do you have any particular audience in mind when you write, an ideal reader?

This question is always difficult for me. I’m often trying to write the poems that I want to read, that I don’t see already in the world. (That is, I’m trying to write the poems only I can write, audience be damned.) At the same time, though, it’s important to me that people who I am close to, who may not have a college education, can pick up one of my poems and get something valuable out of it. I’m usually living in that tension when I’m writing.

Did you let anyone see drafts of this poem before you finished it? Is there an individual or a group of individuals with whom you regularly share work?

Yes. I’m fortunate enough to have a handful of readers that I trust with almost everything I write.

How does this poem differ from other poems of yours?

Many of my poems obsess about faith and doubt, specifically related to the different brands of Christianity I was raised in. I like that this poem entertains some of those same obsessions, but more obliquely. 

What is American about this poem?

Well, I’m an American and I wrote it.

Was this poem finished or abandoned?

Abandoned. Only and always. Though I’m not sure that abandoned and finished have to be mutually exclusive: My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?... It is finished.

12 comments:

  1. Your poem affected life?! Yes, you can share your lovely poem and its great "after story" with the world... Submit now on LifePoemsProject.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally i got all the information of windows shortcut keys.shortcut keys of computer a to z Get all the information of windows shortcut keys through this website

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will get more information on how to write good thesis paper if only you would check out thtis blog post. Good luck mates

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahis oyunları arasında en çok oynanan canlı bahis en heyecanlı oyundur. Canlı bahis siteleri anlık bahis yapmanıza izin verir.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Canlı bahis o an oynanan maçlara yapılan bahistir. Canlı bahis oynarken güvenilir siteleri tercih edin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sevilen bahis çeşidi canlı bahis ile kazançlarınızı katlayın. Türkiye'de canlı bahis hem yasal hem yasa dışı bahis sitelerinde oynatılır.

    ReplyDelete
  8. İddaa oynatan güvenilir siteler canlı bahis ile üyelerine hizmet verir. Güvenilir canlı bahis siteleri kaçak iddaa oynatan firmalar arasında da bulunur.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My ex-boyfriend dumped me one week ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and don’t know what to do, so I reach to the Internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help them to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 2 days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you Dr Believe. You are truly talented and gifted.He is the only answer. He can be of great help and I will not stop talking about him because he is a wonderful man. Contact this great love spell caster for your relationship or marriage problem to be solved today via email: believelovespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +19713839183

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cara-cara Permohonan pelajar ke timur tengah secara mudah melalui online.

    10 top reasons you should take medical course.
    5 things you need to know on how study medicine in malaysia

    kelebihan belajar di luar negara yang anda perlu tahu sebelum membuat keputusan untuk belajar di universiti luar negara yang terbaik untuk anda.

    ReplyDelete